Library and Research
The library at the Maritime holds a large and various amount of research materials related to all aspects of maritime studies.
Along with 8,000 books, the library also houses periodicals, photographs, vertical files, and special collections. Materials are limited to library use only and cannot be signed out. The library covers the following topics:
- Maritime history of British Columbia
- Exploration of British Columbia, the Arctic, and the Pacific Rim region
- Waters, salt and inland, of British Columbia and the Northwest Coast
- Waters of the Pacific Ocean
- History of the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Coast Guard and other Canadian government fleets
- History of the Royal Navy in the Pacific Rim
- Shipping and other marine industries on the Northwest Coast
- Marine technology and nautical sciences, including navigation and seafaring
- Mythology and lore of the sea of indigenous peoples and seafarers of other lands
- National and international law of the sea and related legislation
Some of the collection highlights include a large amount of pilotage and sailing directions books, British and Canadian Navy Lists, and the first editions of the Cook and Vancouver volumes published in 1785 and 1798.
Visiting the Library
The library is open to the public Monday to Friday, from 1:00 to 4:00pm depending on volunteer availability. Please call ahead to ensure that the library will be open if you intend to visit. An appointment can be made to accommodate visitors outside this time if need be.
To contact a library volunteer you can send an email to email@example.com or phone the front desk at 250-385-4222.
Please read over the following guidelines before visiting the library:
Library volunteers accept research requests and complete them to the best of their abilities. Please note that fees may be applied and requests will take time to process depending on volunteer availability and the current volume of requests. For more information see the following forms:
Please send all research request forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, drop-off in person, or to mail to:
28 Bastion Square
V8W 1H9, Canada
For information on how to donate materials to the library or archives please see our Collections page. Thank you for thinking of us.