Information on our new COVID procedures below
The Maritime Museum of BC is on the traditional territories of the Lekwungen speaking peoples who have respected these lands and waters for thousands of years. It is located downtown at 634 Humboldt Street close to Victoria’s downtown Inner Harbour and the Empress Hotel. Here, you will find exhibits, a nautical-themed gift shop, and research space.
634 Humboldt St., Victoria BC, V8W 1A4
There is street parking available just outside our front doors, and across the street.
The closest city parkade is under the Central Branch of the Greater Victoria Public Library on Broughton Street.
The Maritime Museum of BC is excited to announce that we are open on Fridays from 10am to 2pm by appointment! Appointments must be booked in advance and can be booked through the link below:
In addition to booking an appointment, we will require all visitors to follow these protocols, which are in line with Work Safe BC and government regulations:
- No more than 8 visitors, or two separate household groups, are permitted in the space at the same time.
- Please use the hand sanitizer provided upon entering this space. Another Hand Sanitizer Station is available halfway through the exhibit space.
- If you are not able to use hand sanitizer, we have gloves available.
- All visitors must be wearing a face mask. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide these for visitors at this time.
- We ask that visitors follow the arrows on the floor and practice safe social distancing by staying 6’ or more apart from those who are not from the same household.
- All appointments must be kept to the one-hour period booked. We cannot start an appointment early, and any late appointments will still need to finish on time.
- Our washrooms are not open to the public at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience.
- If you feel ill or have been in recent contact with someone with COVID-19, we ask that you visit us another time.
We have installed a new plexiglass barrier at the front desk and have changed the gift shop to operate as an old General Store style, where open browsing is closed off, but staff can bring you items you’d like to take a closer look. Our Gift Shop is also remaining online for anyone who would like to browse.
The Maritime Museum of BC tells the story of the province’s rich maritime heritage and culture. Our collection highlights BC’s dynamic history seen through the lens of humankind’s relationship with the sea, from the Indigenous Peoples of this province, to journeys of exploration and adventure, to the CPR steamships that plied these waters, and everything in between.
Our exhibit space is small, but we do rotate our exhibits two to three times a year. All of our exhibits feature digital interactives and hands-on activities. There are also interpretive staff ready to show you how to tie new knots, how different kinds of anchors work, and to answer any questions you might have.
We are pet freindly! Your furry friends are welcome to take in our exhibits as well, and can join you on our walking tours that go around the Inner Harbour.