We are delighted to announce the recipients of the 1st annual Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Maritime Achievement, a collaboration between BC Government House Foundation and the Maritime Museum of British Columbia. The Honourable Janet Austin, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, will present the 2023 recipients of the Award with medallions designed by Nusi Ian Reid, Heiltsuk Nation in a ceremony at Government House:
• Richard Chappell, Regional Vice President of Operations at Westwood Shipping Lines
• Alec Dick, Ahousaht First Nation, Board Chair Coastal Nations Coast Guard Auxiliary
• Dr./Captain Michael L. Hadley, Professor, Naval Officer, Historian
• Robert Lawson, Boatwright, Maritime Historian
• Dr. Verena Tunnicliffe, Professor Emeritus at University of Victoria School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
• Abernethy & Gaudin Boatbuilders Ltd., Robert Abernethy and Jean Gaudin, co-owners and shipwrights
This new award recognizes and acknowledges individuals and organizations along BC’s coast and inland waterways who have made noteworthy contributions to BC’s maritime interests in the areas of science, technology, business, applications of maritime skills, nautical heritage and culture, art, and academic endeavours. The expanded scope of the award will also recognize Indigenous and traditional practices, environmental stewardship, and ensure diversity in nominees, recipients, and award administration.
Award steering and selection committees comprised of members of the Government House Foundation, Maritime Museum of BC, representatives from the broader community, and professional mariners will administer the award.
Visit our website page to learn more. Nominations for the 2024 Award will open in the Spring: https://mmbc.bc.ca/lieutenant-governors-award