Classic Boat Festival:
Information for Boaters
Welcome Captains & Skippers!
Registration for the 2018 Victoria Classic Boat Festival is now OPEN!
Please submit your application through the “Registration” link, above. Please note, the Museum cannot guarantee that any vessel information/photographs will be included in the official 2018 Festival Visitor’s Programme, for any Registration applications submitted after July 31, 2018.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE
MOORAGE OPEN: Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 12:00 PM
UPON APPROACH: Please contact Nick Banks (Dock Manager) on VHF radio 66A
REGISTRATION OPEN: Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:00 AM (Located at Dock Gates)
MOORAGE CLOSE: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 11:00 AM
Festival Harbour Control
Nick Banks (Dock Manager) – VHF Channel 68
Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
VHF Channel 66A
Maritime Museum of BC
Security will patrol the docks throughout the festival. They are in radio contact with their base for quick response in any emergency. They wear red t-shirts with “SECURITY” emblazoned on the back. In the event of an emergency, notify Security immediately or call 9-1-1.
Registration & Information Headquarters
Located at the Gate Entrance to the docks in front of the Empress Hotel.
Racing Committee Vessel
Festival Hours for the Visiting Public
DOCKS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: Friday, August 31 (9 AM – 9 PM), Saturday, September 1 (9 AM – 9 PM), and Sunday, September 2 (9 AM – 6 PM)
FESTIVAL BEGINS: Friday, August 31, 2018 at 12:00 PM
Please note: Security personnel will be onsite from 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM daily.
NEW: "Burgers, Beers, and Boats" Welcome Reception (Friday, August 31 | 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM)
We’re getting the party started at Victoria Classic Boat Festival’s first ever “Burgers, Beers, and Boats ” Welcome Reception! Mix and mingle with your fellow boaters on the Steamship Terminal’s patio, overlooking Victoria’s beautiful Inner Harbour and classic boats as far as the eye can see.
This year’s reception, “Burgers, Beers, and Boats” will be held on Friday, August 31st from 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM at the Steamship Terminal Patio.
How to purchase tickets:
Tickets are available to purchase through Registration (online) or at the Festival.
Early bird tickets (online) | $20.00
Regular-price tickets (at the Festival) | $23.00
Your ticket includes:
- Entrance to the event
- Your choice of: James Bay Organic Beef Burger (with maple smoked bacon, amber ale cheddar, vine ripened tomatoes, crispy onion strings, and mustard aioli) OR Vegetarian Burger (with mushrooms, herb garlic Boursin cheese, arugula, and vine ripened tomatoes)
- Herbed Potato Salad
- Complimentary beverage, with your choice of: Beer, cider, or glass of wine (additional drinks available for purchase)
- Option to participate in the live auction
- Option to participate in the knot-tying competition
The evening includes a view of the Festival’s beautiful boats, music, and the opportunity to connect with new and old friends. As always, the evening will feature an auction.
This year’s is slightly different, as a competitive live auction! This year’s event features several high-value auction items (check out the full updated list here), which will be auctioned off by community representatives. The catch? If they don’t raise as much money as their competitor, they’ll have to donate their own funds to the Maritime Museum of BC! Cheer on your favourite auctioneer or join in on the razzing!
Ready or knot – who’s the best of the lot? Sign up at the door to participate at our Knot-Tying Competition and be the quickest knot-tying mariner to win Ron Holland’s new book, All the Oceans: Designing by the seat of my pants (Regularly $59.95)! There is no additional fee to enter the competition, so start practicing your:
Figure 8 Knot
Double Overhand Knot
Sheet Bend Knot
Double Sheet Bend Knot
Bowline on a Bight Knot
Double Fisherman’s Knot
Running Bowline Knot
Double Figure 8 Knot
Trucker’s Hitch Knot
Annual Awards Banquet (Sunday, September 2)
Join us at the Union Club, a National Historic Site, on Sunday, September 2, 2018 (6:00 PM) for Victoria Classic Boat Festival’s Annual Awards Banquet.
Tickets will be available with Registration – seating is limited, so be sure to reserve your seats!
Sail-past and Races (Sunday, September 2)
Please attend the Skippers’ Meeting on Sunday, September 2 at 9:00 AM. We ask that all skippers attend this meeting for instructions on both the races and the sail-past.
- Victoria’s Inner Harbour is a working harbour. The arrival and departure of ferry MV COHO frequently coincides with the beginning of this event. Until the MV COHO has departed, NO VESSEL SHOULD LEAVE ITS BERTH. The only exception to this is the Salute Vessel. The lead vessel will be designated at the Skippers’ meeting.
- The order of departure will be power first followed by sail.
- All vessels are asked to take the salute of Honorary Commodore who will be aboard the Salute Vessel.
- Please follow in line under power on the Sail past course.
- PLEASE GIVE OGDEN POINT BREAKWATER A WIDE BERTH to enable returning vessels to clear. The distance traveled past the Breakwater will be determined by the weather.
- We ask that you maintain an open channel 68 on all radios.
Further details will be provided at the Skippers’ Meeting.