Queer at Sea
Tales from the 2SLGBTQ+ Community
About this Exhibit
The Maritime Museum of BC is preparing for a new exhibit called “Queer at Sea: Tales from the 2SLGBTQ+ Community”. This exhibit will be open to the public 17 May 2022 and run for the duration of the summer.
Queer and trans communities have long been a part of BC’s maritime history and culture. It is the goal of this exhibit to showcase those histories and culture, celebrate the roles and contributions queer and trans people have made to BC’s maritime sectors, and to acknowledge work that remains to eliminate discrimination against the 2SLGBTQ+ community in the marine sectors.
What we are looking for
It is important for the queer and trans communities to speak for themselves and share their own stories. As such, we are seeking input from queer and trans individuals who are willing to voluntarily share their stories for use in the exhibit. In keeping with the theme of the exhibit and the mandate of the Maritime Museum of BC, we request stories from queer and trans people who are connected to BC’s maritime history/culture/industries. This can include anything from working in the BC maritime field as a queer or trans person to being a queer or trans member of a BC maritime based community/culture to partaking in maritime recreational activities as a queer or trans person.
The exhibit will feature these stories as the main part of the exhibit. Stories can be shared in any of the following ways, at the discretion of those sharing them:
- a written story that will be presented as text
- oral interview that will be presented as text
- video interview that will be presented on digital screens with audio
- photograph-based stories with added captions to contextualize them as needed
- object-based stories with personal objects (tools, uniforms, etc…) loaned to the Museum for the exhibit
- short quotes that speak to your experience
- any combination of the above
How to share your story
You can share your story in one of two ways:
- Complete our online form on our website. Please note that you can remain anonymous and provide as little or as much information as you would like.
a. Google Form
- Contact Maritime Museum of BC staff. Please be in touch with Brittany Vis, Executive Director, to discuss this further. You can email or call her at the information below.
b. 250-385-4222 ext. 106
Deadline for sharing your story
Please have your stories to us by 4 March 2022. If you are willing to loan personal objects or photographs for the exhibit, please let us know of your intention to do so by March 4 as well. We will then make necessary arrangements with you to have these items brought to the museum for the exhibit.