2023 Registered Vessels
Year Built: 1962
The Owens Company hired Darryl Fish from Ford Motor Company. Mr Fish was a designer for the Ford Thunderbird car. Owens wanted their new 40′ Tahitian model to represent the best design features as represented by the sexy Thunderbird of the early 1960s. Construction is mahogany planks over mahogany frames. Decks are teak. She is double planked from sheer to keel.
This vessel was shipped new to Seattle in 1962. She was moored at Seattle Yacht Club from 1962-2001 and known then as the “Concrete Queen.” She went through a major refit at Port Townsend from 2001-2003. She was moored on Bainbridge island from 2003-2011 as “Jannika.” The current owners moor her at Stimson Marina in Ballard (Seattle) and Jensen’s Marina in Friday Harbor as “ALOHA.”
Year Built: 2014
ANJA is a 23’ on deck gaff rigged Bristol pilot cutter (type) designed by Roger Long in 1976. Launched in 2014 on Saltspring Island, BC. Hull built by David Betts and the cabin, rig and interior built by Arnt Arntzen in 2020. ANJA was the cover girl on Wooden Boat Magazine Jan/Feb 2023 with a fabulous article by Larry Cheek and photos by Dale Simonson and co-owner Valerie Arntzen.
ANJA has been on many sailing trips including Broughton Archipeligo, Desolation Sound, Southern Gulf Islands in the Georgia Strait and 2022 we went to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival and will be returning this year. The Broken Islands, BC is our destination for summer 2023.
Class: Power Deck
Year Built: 1959
Bianca is a 32 foot cabin cruiser built in 1959. She is a Chris Craft 32ft Express one of 17 built between 1957 and 1959 in Holland Michigan. Her hull is Double planked solid Mahogany under the water line and batten seamed Mahogany above the water line. Frames and stingers made out of white oak. All decks are solid teak. She was originally powered by two Chrysler 392 and had a recorded top speed by the first Dealer at Bryant Marine in Seattle of 33mph (28knots), today she has two new 350 based engines and a top speed we had her to 27 knots loaded with all onboard equipment. Her normal cruising speed is 20 knots, that is also her lowest fuel consumption at 2 liters per nautical mile. We have restored her to be as original as possible down to all appliances to be era correct even all the magazines in the onboard magazine stand are from 1959. We use her extensively with 2000 nautical mile covered each year.
Class: Power Deck
Year Built: 1991
In the early 60s, an Egg Harbor dealer invited George Stadel to design a 36-footer (11 meters). After a year of production, the 36 morphed into the now-famous Egg Harbor 37 (11.3 meters).
As Stadel’s son Bill recalls, “My father designed a lot of lobster boats. The Egg Harbor 37 is essentially a beamy lobster boat.” He remembers his father designing the 37 in four long days, modifying the 36 to make it a bit finer in the bow and removing the tumblehome back aft, thereby adding beam at the sheerline. The 37 is widely recognized as “the boat that created the Egg Harbor brand.”
Egg Harbor started building 50 of the 37s per year and increased production to 100 per year. The final count was somewhere between 800 and 850 hulls over a period of about 10 years.
Name: Cherry II
Year Built: 1946
Cherry II is the first of the series II Ex-Forestry Service blimps designed by Tommy Edwards and launched on the Fraser River at the then Forest Service Marine Depot on St. Valentine’s Day, 946. We believe that Cherry was first stationed in Campbell River, then shipped, together with Silver Fir, to Williston Lake after the construction of the WAC Bennett Dam, after high she was shipped back to the coast, to Pender Harbour, where she spent the remainder of her working life. After 32 years of service,she was sold in 978 to unknown owners. She was then bought by Dusenberry, who kept her in Pender Harbour, the sold her to Don Vince, who moved her to North Vancouver. She was then sold to Robert & Kathy Brereton, who have her moored at the foot of their back yard in the Gorge Waterway, Victoria Harbour, where she happily resides.
She is 34’9”, constructed of cedar & fir on oak, with cedar decks & mahogany/plywood house, running a 371 Jimmy.
Construction materials are Cedar & Fir on Oak, Mahogany/Plywood House.
Deck Length: 43′
Year Built: 1929
Compadre is a 43 ft bridge-deck cruiser designed and built by the Stephens Brothers of Stockton, California. She was constructed in 1929 of Port Orford cedar planks over white oak frames for Leland D. Adams, a mining engineer in San Francisco. Compadre is one of only four Stephens vessels built to this design. Originally powered by twin Lathrop gasoline engines, she is currently powered by twin 80hp Yanmar diesels and cruises comfortably at 9 knots. Her current owners purchased her in 2007 in Northern California and transported her to the Northwest. Compadre is her original name, and she retains most of her original interior layout and cabinetry.
Construction materials are Traditional plank on frame. Port Orford Cedar on Oak frames. House is Burmese Teak.
Deck Length: 38′
Year Built: 1930
Comrade was custom built for Kathy’s recently widowed great grandfather and his two sons in Seattle and launched in 1930. She was cared for by the Carl Bolin family and two generations of the Birdseye family before Kathy and Bill purchased Comrade late in 2017. Since then, it has been repowered, has all new appliances, a larger fresh water and black water tank, and received new safety equipment. In August 2022, she was re-launched in Port Townsend after receiving a new hull and 88 new oak frames. She also received her new custom-built Herreshoff-designed pram, named Pal. We are all ready for the next 90 years on the water!
Deck Length: 80′
Year Built: 1929
MV Deerleap was built in Coal Harbour at the Hoffar-Beeching Shipyards (later Boeing) for Colonel McLinmont, President of the Winnipeg Power and Light Company. Five years later she was sold to the owners of Vancouver’s Spencer’s Department Stores. Conscripted during WWII, Deerleap proudly served in the Canadian Navy.
After the war, Deerleap joined other large yachts as a charter vessel for Campbell Church Charters, making many voyages to remote parts of Alaska. During those years, passengers included Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, John Wayne, and financier Andrew Mellon, Jr.
By the 1960’s, Deerleap had been relocated to Southern California as a charter vessel, and hosted John F. Kennedy. MV Deerleap ended up in Southern California, where she was again a popular charger vessel, hosting the Kennedy Family and many Hollywood stars. She was purchased by her current owner over 30 years ago and is a cherished member of the family. She is used from early June until late October every year.
Deck Length: 38′
Year Built: 1956
ERN is built of Cuban mahogany planks on white oak frames by John Barkhouse in East Chester, Nova Scotia, in 1956. She is well known on the B.C. coast, from the pilot books “Charlie’s Charts”, written by her previous, owners, Charlie and Margo Wood. ERN is a custom-built, cutter-rigged sailboat of wood construction throughout, having a raked stern, round bilges to a full-length keel, and transom stern. Displacement is approx. 18,000 lb. Keel is cast iron.
The current owners have replaced the spruce box section mast, standing and running rigging, re-built the mast partners and cabin top, replaced the rudder, tiller, engine, stove, cabin heater, and rebuilt the heads and the galley. Ern has circumnavigated Vancouver Island three times, has voyaged to Hawaii and Alaska, and cruised the Salish Sea extensively. She is a good sea boat, and her motion is kindly. Her current home is at the Vancouver Maritime Museum Heritage Dock, in English Bay.
Year Built: 1937
In 1994 Faranda won the ‘Best Restored Power’ category in the Victoria Classic Boat Festival. In 2001 she was designated as a Vintage Vessel by the Maritime Museum of British Columbia. In 2003 she graced the 35 year Anniversary issue of Pacific Yachting Magazine.
Name: Flying Cloud
Year Built: 1937
Flying Cloud was built for Francis Brownell, Jr., President of First Seattle Bank. Mr. Brownell owned Flying Cloud for approximately four years before she was commandeered by the U.S. Navy during WWII, from 1941-1945 for use as a patrol boat/sub chaser in Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
After the war, she was purchased by Lyle Branchflower, who named the boat “Researcher”. Mr. Branchflower had the boat for 32 years, and used the boat to develop the cod liver oil industry. What is now the aft stateroom was used as his lab.
He then sold the boat to a friend who named the boat “Catherine K”, and had the boat for only 2 years.
The boat was then sold to Richard Shanks. Mr. Shanks named the boat Grande, and he had her until 2002. In 2002, Lloyd and Theresa Shugart purchased the boat, and renamed her to her original name, “Flying Cloud”. Aside from floor and ceiling finishes, Flying Cloud is mostly complete. This is our sanctuary away from the daily grind.
Name: Flying Eagle
Class: Vinal Beam
Year Built: 1963
FLYING EAGLE, a Maine Lobster Boat, was designed and built by Vinal Beal and launched on Beals Island Maine in 1963 where she earned her keep lobstering until the mid 1990s. These stunning vessels with their low freeboard and graceful sheer are often referred to as a “Beals Islanders” or “Jonesporters,” a classic workboat with distinct beauty of purpose – perfectly adapted to their local Down east Maine fishing conditions – world renowned for their efficient, seaworthy hull form, good turn of speed, rich history and great looks!
Year Built: 1962
A part of this family since 1971, Isobar was built at Cheoy Lee in 1962 to race the TransPac. She is a spectacular custom teak and mahogany blue-water sloop with an international racing pedigree and a storied cruising history. Her original design was a monocoque wineglass hull of strip-planked Philippine mahogany, spacious teak decks and a counter stern. She sports a low aspect mainsail rig (48’ deck-stepped mast with a 22’ spar) built for the largely downwind run of the TransPac. . While she is a custom design, her lines take inspiration from the big Sparkman & Stevens designs — most noticeably the 52’ yawl Dorade.
Construction materials are Mahogany hull; Teak decks and interiors; Holly & teak soles; Oak structural framing (retrofit); Bird’s eye maple / ebony chart table.
Deck Length: 35′
Year Built: 1940
Built by the legendary Chris-Craft Corporation, Maranee was launched in Algonac, Michigan on June 28, 1940. She served as flagship of the Vermilion Yacht Club in Ohio in 1946, and cruised the Great Lakes extensively, visiting Georgian Bay, the Erie Canal and the St. Lawrence River.
In 1959, Maranee began a new life on the west coast when she was shipped to Seattle by rail. She is still powered by her original twin Hercules six cylinder gas engines. Flying from Maranee’s starboard spreader is the burgee of the Vermilion Yacht Club, presented to her by that club’s bridge in 2020 in honor of her 80th birthday.
Name: Marian II
Deck Length: 42′
Year Built: 1928
The Marian II was built in Seattle at the Lake Union Dry Dock Company in 1928. She is still moored there in a boathouse located very close to where she was launched. Marian II was owned by Herb and Virginia Cleaver, founders of the Pacific Northwest Fleet of the Classic Yacht Association for nearly 50 years. During the Cleaver’s ownership, they started the tradition of boating to University of Washington football games by taking the Marian II over near the stadium, tying up to a tree, and wading to shore. Later, UW built a huge dock for tail gating and boating to football games at UW is a huge tradition in Seattle.
Current owner, Diane Lander, bought the boat in 2014 after owning the MV Olympus, a 1929 97′ fantail motor yacht, for nearly 23 years. Diane has impeccably maintained Marian II including a new keel and bottom in 2017-2018, interior improvements including new refridgeration, new starboard seating area, a fabulous teak table, and this year a new diesel heater/hot water heater. As always, the boat has received multiple coats of new varnish and this year the hull and bottom were painted.
Deck Length: 50′
Year Built: 1962
Marionette is one of 22 k50s built in San Diego in the 1960s. Kettenburg Boatworks was famous for building lightweight and very fast racing sailboats and the K50s are in that model. She is light for her size, weighing only 28,000 lbs and carries a sail area of 1,000 sq. feet. She was built for the biennial TrasPac race from Los Angeles to Hawaii and participated in two of them, before retiring to cruise the west coast of US and Mexico.
Her hull is planked with 1-1/4″ Honduras Mahogany shaped over 1″x 1.5″ steam bent oak frames on 10″ centers and fastened to a white oak keel. Her trunk cabin and cabin top are of two layers of 3/4″plywood laminated together. Her deck is of 3/4″ plywood, covered with fiberglass cloth and the nonskid is mason’s sand in paint. The fasteners are of Monel rather than bronze, contributing to her sound structure and long life.
Deck Length: 39′
Year Built: 1932
Merva’s history begins with a remarkable journey by sledge, drawn by a team of horses, from Mr. Morriss’ yard to the water’s edge for launching. Afterward, she cruised the waters around Victoria for many years during the 1930s and 40s with the Morriss Family, making frequent stops at Sydney Spit and Musgrave Landing.
After finally being sold for reasons, I am not aware of, she remained in BC waters for some time, until after another sale, she made another remarkable journey, this time across the continent by truck to the Great Lakes (Oakville, Ontario), where she cruised for many years. She was transported by truck once again (same owner), this time to Florida (West Palm) where she stayed for just a couple of months. The owner had changed his mind and had Merva sail from Florida back to Oakville. A woman named Judy MacKay skippered Merva on the trip back for the owner via the inter-coastal waterway.
Later still, Merva was sold once more than transported across Canada, this time back to British Columbia, her home waters. That she survived the indignity and danger to a wooden vessel of these multiple overland journeys in remarkable condition is a testament to Mr. Morriss’s abilities as a shipwright.
Donell McDonell purchased Merva late in 2008 after she had spent some months at the SALTS facility in Esquimalt, BC. She had been donated to SALTS after her most recent owner could no longer care for her himself and attempts to sell her had failed. Donell hired Abernethy & Gaudin to do major upgrades on Merva at their Brentwood Bay shop. This included among many other things a new engine, a new canvas on the cabin roof, and complete electrical and mechanical upgrades. Donell was very kind to Merva over the 10 years he owned the boat, but his priorities changed.
Today she resides in Tacoma, WA.
Name: Midnight Sun
Deck Length: 80′
Year Built: 1938
Built in 1938 by North Van Ship Repair which became part of Burrard Dry Dock. Built at the foot of Lonsdale N. Van. as a table seiner.
Served in WW II as transport vessel. Commercially fished and packed until 2001 when bought by David and Emma Doig and restored/converted (2001-2005) into a yacht. Is Transport Canada certified as a passenger carrying vessel. Six staterooms on 3 decks. Carries approximately 5000 gallons of diesel and 2000 gallons of water. Burns about 14 gallons per hour for a speed of 9.2 knots. Weighs in at between 180-220 tons. Originally packed approximately 120 tons of fish.
Construction materials are Fir planking over oak frames, fir decks, mahogany, purple heart, yellow cedar interior.
Name: MV Sannox
Deck Length: 40′
Year Built: 1920
Built originally as a steam powered yatch in 1920 she was converted to gasoline in 1925.She was originally called the Fee-Lu after the shortened names of John Ferrier from Vancouver and John Lucas, also of Vancouver. They owed their own ship building company called Ferrier and Lucas but hired the Kobayakawa yard in West Vancouver to build her. They sold it in 1937 and by 1942 she fell into the hands of Art Hutchinson from Calgary, AB. He only owned her for a short time because by 1946 she was owned by Charlie Stringer of Sydney BC. In 2005 Art’s son Alan R. Hutchinson of Ladysmith BC purchased the boat back into the Hutchinson family. Alan Hutchinson rebuild her and returned her to his home port in Ladysmith. In 2017 the boat was purchased by the current owner . She has been used, at various times, in the drug trade, she has been stolen, burnt and has survived it all!
Name: Pacific Grace
Deck Length: 111′
Year Built: 1986
SALTS (Sail and Life Training Society).
Pacific Swift was built during Expo 86 in Vancouver and launched at the end of the fair in front of a crowd of approximately 30, 000 people (reputed to be the largest audience at a ship launch in Canadian history). She has since completed four offshore voyages from 1988 to 1995 with ports of call from Australia to Ireland. She is one of SALTS two tallships which take more than 1700 young people to sea every year up and down the BC coast.
Photo Courtesy of Don Gaynor.
Deck Length: 28′
Year Built: 1938
MV Poem, previously MV Sunshine, was designed by Edwin Monk and built in Seattle in 1938 and plied the waters of Puget Sound for most of her years. Almost always shed kept she is is splendid condition having been well maintained and carefully updated over the years. In 2021 she moved to Victoria BC under new ownership and was renamed Poem. There she received substantial hull and systems upgrades including new planking, abandoning almost all through hulls and installing new quality bronze replacements. All new plumbing, wiring and electronics. Over the winter of 2022, 23 she underwent a substantial full interior refit, rebuilt bulkheads, cockpit rehabilitation and full refinish inside and out.
Deck Length: 46’4″
Year Built: 1956
Designed in 1946, Ricochet is a Kettenburg Pacific Cruising Class (PCC) offshore racing/cruising sloop. Launched in 1956, she is hull number 21 of 24 built to the PCC. design. Following a catastrophic sinking in late 2011 a keel-up restoration began in January 2012 and she was finally relaunched in January 2023. The restoration included 52 pairs of new steam-bent White Oak frames and floors, complete refastening of the original Honduras Mahogany planking with silicon bronze screws, all new deck furniture (hatches, grab rails, etc) and covering boards, new standing and running rigging, new diesel engine, all new electrical, plumbing, propane, and communication systems, new interior cabinetry, restoration of original Skipper head, anchor windlass, etc. Most of the restoration work was completed by the owner himself and a couple of very dedicated friends. She’s always been a fairly quick boat and is currently moored at the Heritage Harbour at the Vancouver Maritime Museum.
Sandra Jean II
Name: Sandra Jean II
Deck Length: 39′
Year Built: 1965
Commissioned in 1965 by Robert and Gary Russell of Gibsons, BC (father and son), Sandra Jean II worked as a Salmon troller on the BC Coast until 1997. That year she was purchased by Brian Patterson, also of Gibsons, who used the boat for recreation and as a licensed Packer until 2000.
Since then she has been in the care of Peter & Nancy Hardy who, working with the Port Townsend Shipwrights Coop, Washington U.S.A., have been gradually reconditioning the boat from stem to stern and doing so without changing her appearance as a BC Troller. Today she is as solid and as seaworthy as when she set out on her first fishing season in the mid 1960s.
Name: Sea Puss
Deck Length: 44′
Year Built: 1942
Built as yacht-TUG owned for many years by Author EARNEST GANN. The vessel has had a recent refit by the owners of the forestry vessel FOREST SURVEYOR at EWING STREET MOORINGS SEATTLE. At some time the original engine was replaced by Mr. Gann ,we believe the original engine was steam later replaced by Detroit 6-71 later replaced by 6 cyl. Gardner Diesel.
When Mr. Gann first owned the boat he had her in San Francisco and later moved her to his home in the U.S. SAN JUAN islands.
EWING STREET MOORINGS is the home of the NORTHWEST MARINE PROPULSION MUSEUM that is responsible for the maintaining and repairing of a collection of boats, engines and marine artifacts.
Name: Summer Wind
Deck Length: 88′
Year Built: 19240
The SUMMER WIND was built from 1938 to 1940 in Astoria, Oregon for the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey (now part of NOAA) for nautical chart-making. Although heavily built as a long-range working vessel, the SUMMER WIND was given the lines of a classic fantail yacht – possibly because her designed H.C. Hansen drew inspiration from an earlier design that had been commissioned in 1918. She is double-planked with fir on 8X8 oak frames and monel fastenings., and has ironbark toerails and rubrails, and Burmese teak handrails. She has the original 1938 Cooper-Bessemer direct drive air start diesel engines.
Commissioned as the E. Lester Jones, she participated in World War Two in the Aleutian Islands, and conducted nautical surveys all over Alaska including the first modern survey of Glacier Bay.
In 1971, the SUMMER WIND was surplused and sold at auction. After a brief trip through Central America to Florida and back, she has remained in the Seattle area since the early 1970’s. Her current owners bought her in 1993 and have used her as a liveaboard and cruising yacht, and hope to start a charter business some day.
Deck Length: 38′
Year Built: 1953
Thelonius was custom built for a Portland Oregon dentist who wanted a ‘traditional-style’ design. Ed Monk modified a 1920’s plan, resulting in more living space, more head room, more storage than would have been in the 20’s. Unique features include glue-wedged hull seams (rather than caulk) and engine in rear under the cockpit (rather than under the wheel house).
Construction materials are yellow cedar planking over oak frames for the hull. Decks and cabins are teak. Interior trim is mahogany.
Deck Length: 34’6″‘
Year Built: 1941
Trine is one of the few remaining Norwegian cruiser-class called the 40kvm2 Spissgatter (40 square meter double -ender). Twenty boats were built between 1938 and 1947. Trine was built in 1941at the Grimsokilen boatyard in Sarpsborg, Norway. Each marked the “W” registration number. Being the ninth built of the class, Trine’s mainsail bears W 9.
The fasteners failed causing wood sickness in all the wood below the water line. The previous owner then spent the next 10 years restoring her. He fabricated new frames from oak and scarfed them into those portions above the water line. He replaced all new floor timbers, sternpost, keel, and deadwood. A new deck and cabin were constructed of cold-molded cedar. The boom and mast (spruce) are original though repaired.
The current owner found Trine on the hard in Sidney, BC. He worked alongside an accomplished shipwright to complete hanging the strakes. She was brought to Bellingham to complete fitting out. This included replacing all the fasters with silicon bronze; wedge-seaming the planks; fairing the hull; building all the interior furniture installing a new engine, electrical wiring, plumbing, electronics, painting, varnishing etc. All the lines, rigging and lifelines were replaced by a professional rigger.