FEATURED EXHIBIT: WINTER 2019
On December 7, 1941 the world was shocked when Japan bombed Pearl Harbour, launching the United States into the war. This action also resulted in the confiscation of nearly 1,200 Japanese-Canadian owned fishing boats by Canadian officials on the British Columbia coast, which were eventually sold off to canneries and other non-Japanese fishermen.
The Lost Fleet looks at the world of the Japanese-Canadian fishermen in BC and how deep-seated racism played a major role in the seizure, and sale, of Japanese-Canadian property and the internment of an entire people.
This exhibit, on loan from the Vancouver Maritime Museum, explores the legacy of these tragic events by considering the lessons that have been learned and how Canadian society has changed because of this experience. Visitors will be encouraged to consider whether the present political and economic climate is very different today; current legislation, policies and public sentiment about immigration invites the question of whether this type of injustice could be carried out against other groups.
With featured Artist-in-Residence, Marlene Howell
See Marlene at the museum Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10AM-2PM, January 17-March 28, 2019.
Marlene was born in Toronto and moved to Vancouver Island in 1996. Since then she has lived in and has exhibited her artwork in Khartoum, Sudan, New York City, and Phnom Penh, Cambodia before settling in Victoria, BC.
Her artistic development is a result of the influential instructors at the Art Student League of New York, and artists in British Columbia. Visual experiences are her inspiration, so she generally works from photographs, using various techniques, and experimenting with medium choices such as graphite,charcoal/watercolour/pastels, acrylic and Kroma Crackle.
Marlene has organized and exhibited in two spring Art Shows held at the Royal Colwood Golf Club in support of Soroptimist International of Greater Victoria in the spring of 2017 and 2018.
- 2018 Ministry of Health, “Girl with a Mirror”, “Glory Days”, Blue on Blue”
- 2018 Royal Colwood Golf Club “Willow on the Gorge”, “Fi Fie Foe Fum”
- 2017 Sooke Fine Art Show, FCA Juried Fall Show, “Little Drummer Girl Jaden”
- 2017 Royal Colwood Golf Club, “Little Drummer Girl Jaden”, “Sunning Rhinos”, “Komodo Dragon”
- 2016 FCA Juried 75th Anniversary Exhibition, “Komodo Dragon”, “Glory Days”
- 2016 FCA Juried Spring Exhibition, “Willow on the Gorge”, “Fisherman’s Wharf #4”
- 2015 FCA Juried Fall 2015 Show, “Blue on Blue”.
- 2015 FCA Juried ICON Art Show, “Komodo Dragon”.
- 2015 FCA Juried Annual International Representational Show, ”Fisherman’s Wharf Series #4”
- 2015 Artist in Residence at “ARTISHOW 2015” Coast Victoria Harbourside Hotel
- 2015 FCA Spring Show, “Girl with a Mirror”, “Fisherman’s Wharf Series #3”
- 2013 FCA Juried Fall Show, “Peanut Butter and Jelly”
- 2013 FCA Juried Spring Show, “What a Catch”
- 2012 Artist in Residence at “ARTISHOW 2012” Hotel Grand Pacific
- 2012 Island Illustrator’s Society exhibit at The Royal Colwood Golf Club
- 2012 Colwood Rotary “Arts and Wine Festival” at Fort Rodd Hill
- 2012 The Takata Gardens at Glendale Gardens “Arts and Music in The Gardens ”
- 2012 Sooke Juried Fine Arts Show: “Monks Dream” of the Fisherman’s Wharf Series
- 2011 Solo show at The MOON UNDER WATER Pub “Black and White with Splashes of Colour”
- 2011 Artist in Residence at “ARTISHOW 2011” Hotel Chateau Victoria
- 2008 Sooke Juried Fine Arts Show: “Elephant Eye Series #3”
- 2008 Sydney Juried Fine Art Show: “Spotting” and “Boy in a Red Vest
- 2006/2007 City of Victoria Banners