Volunteers are the heart and soul of the Maritime Museum of BC.
Volunteers are keen and motivated to be involved with the MMBC at many levels. Master mariners, marine experts, historians, authors, educators, librarians, scientists, administrators, economists, accountants, students, all donate their talents and expertise.
Volunteers engage in various aspects of the Museum, including visitor services, collections, research, library, and archives, playing a vital role in helping us to interpret and preserve our maritime history and culture for the whole community.
Training is provided for volunteer positions.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering with us.
Become a Volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Maritime Museum of BC! The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete an application form. Click “Volunteer Form” below to complete and submit this form online. If you prefer to complete a physical form, please email email@example.com.
• Museum knowledge and /or an interest in maritime history an asset, but not essential
• Outgoing visitor service skills an asset – ability to meet and greet visitors, give a general interpretation about the museum and answer questions about programs and events
• Good telephone manner – answer telephone and direct calls
• Operate a cash register and point of sale experience
• Training is provided
On-call volunteers needed. Weekly or Bi-Weekly morning (10:00 PM – 1:30 PM) or afternoon (1:30 PM – 5:00PM) shifts are available.
Saturday Programs volunteer
Responsible for helping staff with regular onsite activities on Saturdays such as:
• Set-up and take-down of programming supplies (tables, craft and workshop supplies, etc.)
• Helping guide participants through activities led by museum staff
• Preparing supplies for upcoming weeks of programming
• During times when programs are not running, will be responsible for visitor engagement as detailed in the Volunteer Interpreter Role
Shifts: Saturday morning (10:00 AM – 1:30 PM) or Saturday afternoon (1:30 PM – 5:00PM)
The morning shift will assist with Museum Tots children’s programming, and the afternoon shift will assist with our craft workshops and other practical skills programming.